Monday, September 26, 2011

Only nerds introduce themselves to Professors...


Well today was the first day of classes here at DCU.  Mom...here's a first day of school pic. 


My first (and only class for the day) was Contemporary US Business & Society...let's just say I have a feeling Meg and I are going to get picked on a lot in this class.  Basically the first day was similar to syllabus week where we went over the different class topics and discussed the dynamics of the class.  After the class (where the lecturer pretty much subtly put down the US the entire time) Megan and I introduced ourselves to the Professor.  This is something I always do at Keene, but apparently it's not too normal here.  We told him we were international students and just wanted to be clear about the assignments and how to electronically hand them in.  He replied with 'yes, I can tell you are American..I picked up on that'.  Maybe, it was the fact we sat in the middle almost front row of the class, or that we were taking notes, or the blonde hair and still summer kissed skin...whatever it was, it was obvious. 


On Friday Meg, Sam, Martha and I took the bus into City Centre and strolled around while poking our head into a few pubs :) First we went to a place called Fitzgerald's where I officially tried my first Guinness.  Obviously, we took very touristy pictures and even documented my Guinness Stache.  After walking down Grafton Street and seeing the Molly Malone Statue we went to a pub called O'Donaghue's for dinner and then headed to Temple Bar and had an Irish Coffee.  The live music here is incredible, Meg and I decided that before we leave, WE WILL get on stage at Temple bar and do something cool and 'irish'..totally feasible right?



Our first Guinness!


Megan and I outside of Temple Bar

Overall, I am having an incredible time thus far.  We have made a lot of Irish friends, as well as some other international ones too.  There's kind of a mutual interest between American and Irish students.  We are both fascinated with each other's accents and the different terminology that is used.  We've already got our Irish neighbor, Cian, saying dollars instead of euros :) we are totally Americanizing him.  


Me, Megan & Kody



Sam, Megan, Cian, Kody & Myself


'The Americans'

Tonight we are attending what is called "Messy Mondays" which is at a local pub, and basically entails exactly what it says...good thing my class isn't until 12 tomorrow :) 

 Oh...and tomorrow is 'Toxic Tuesday'

Mom & Dad...sfp to the max!!!

xo
Lea :)









1 comment:

  1. I don't understand...do Irish students not take notes or anything? Whatever, as long as you're not an obnoxious American. Prove that professor wrong that we're not all a-holes.

    ReplyDelete