Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Galway Getaway

Let me start this entry by saying...Hostels are NOT for me. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the concept; and inexpensive place to stay that makes it easy for travelers to come and go as they please without incurring ridiculous accommodation fees, especially when most people just use it as a place to sleep at night. HOWEVER: when you place me in a room that is smaller than my freshman dorm with 8 beds in it (yes 8) and I have to sleep in a bunk bed, on a mattress that smells like The Great Depression with a pillow the size of my quad and a blanket that feels like it is stuffed with dead cats...I am NOT happy. Call me high maintenance, stuck up, prissy, pretentious or whatever you would like but when I have to sleep clinging to my Nikon D3000, my wallet, and my phone...I don't exactly feel 'safe'. I even considered sleeping with my Cole Haan boots on...no joke.  Seriously, the had the movie 'Hostel' available for rent at the reception desk..that's not even funny!  With that all said, I will continue to stay in them because unfortunately staying in an adorable countryside B&B is not always an option.


Not the happiest girl in the world..


The little gem herself..

Well with the Hostel Situation out of the way, our weekend in Galway was Wonderful!  We arrived late on Friday night, checked into our 5 star hotel, and headed over the the An Pucan pub for a bite to eat.  We stayed there for a while, ate dinner and watched the soccer match.  After, we headed back to the Hostel to get some 'sleep'.  Unfortunately, none of us got much sleep this weekend, but I will say that listening to the live music that came from the pub below us wasn't all to bad.

 Inside the An Pucan Bar

Sam, Kody & Martha at An Pucan

On Saturday we went on a Cliffs of Moher & Burren Tour.  The bus left around 10 am, and our first stop was at the Dunguaire Castle in Kinvara, Galway.  The castle was built in the 16th century on the Southeastern coast of Galway Bay, it is about 75 feet tall and has a defensive wall surrounding it's entirety.  
The Dunguaire Castle at low tide

Our next stop was The Ballyaban Earthen Ring Fort.  These medieval dwelling forts were not used for defense but rather for security and shelter.  The fort to me, felt like something I would have loved as a child. There were awesome climbing trees as well as great hiding spots and room to explore. 

 The view from the fort

Paths along the exterior

After this we stopped at the Poulnabrone Dolmen Tomb in The Burren.  The Dolmen is a 12-foot high capstone supported by two slender portal stones that creates a chamber which represents 'the hole of sorrows'.  The area where the Dolmen is, is surrounded with a beautiful limestone landscape that goes on forever.
 The Poulnabrone Dolmen

Mimi Canal's Prayer Card over looking The Burren 

Next we drove along the coast for a while as the fog grew increasingly thicker.  We stopped in a small town called Doolin for lunch where I had devine fish & chips for lunch.  Growing up on the water, and having a fisherman for a grandfather, I have become very particular about my seafood. So I figured that Fish & Chips from a local pub in a small coastal town in Ireland couldn't be too heinous, and I was right :) Our next stop and ultimate destination was The Cliffs of Moher...more like the cliffs of bore! (super bad joke)  When we arrived at the cliffs, you could not see your hand in front of you.  The fog was so incredibly thick, and a major let down for those of us dying to see such a sight.  To make up for it, on the way back to Galway our tour guide took us to the Ballyreen Cliffs which are located on the Galway Bay coast about half an hour from The Cliffs of Moher. 
 The Ballyreen Cliffs

 All of us on the Cliffs

 On the edge of somewhere beautiful



Upon our return back to Galway we stopped at a few other scenic places.  Even though there were no Cliffs of Moher siting, the day was still a success.  Ireland is such a beautiful country, and particularly intriguing to me.  Everything is incredibly green, lush and un-touched.  I am so lucky to be able to see and experience all of these things. 

 The Carran Church 

Little guy outside of the pub

 Where we stopped for lunch in Doolin

 The Leprechaun Head...look closely

The Village of Kinvara

On Sunday (today) we got up and checked out of the Hostel around 9.  It was down pouring and miserably windy out (typical) but we still walked into downtown Galway.  First we saw The Galway Cathedral which was unlike any Cathedral I have every seen. The outside looked like some sort of a state building, and the inside split into 4 large sections lined with pews with all sorts of shrines for different saints, confessionals, beautiful stained glass windows, and the stages of Jesus on the cross.  I've found that I really enjoy taking pictures of Cathedrals, I think it must be all of the detail and vivid colors. Finally, we stopped by the Spanish Arch, and then to T. Dillon & Sons Jewelry store which is renowned for their handmade Claddagh rings and other jewelry.  Around 12 we got on the bus back to Dublin and we were all quite relieved to get back to the Flat.

 The Galway Cathedral 

 The Galway Cathedral

 My ring, the stone is an amethyst and the sides are classic celtic design

Meg's Claddagh ring

Oh! And how could I forget to mention; on Friday before we left for Galway, Meg and I met up with Aly (Connor's cousin) her boyfriend, Will, and her three friends.  Aly and her gang all study Architecture at Syracuse, and are spending the semester in London.  They were in Dublin for the weekend, it was so great to grab lunch and explore the city with them :) 

Aly and I on the Trinity Campus

On Tuesday, the girls and I will be attending Juno & The Paycock at The Abbey Theatre in Dublin and next weekend Meg and I will be traveling to the Dingle Coast.  It should be another nice weekend get away, we're looking forward to renting a tandem bike (such losers!).  The following weekend, my parents will be arriving in The Emerald Isle, I can't wait to see them!

Until then, I hope this entry keeps you occupied and updated! I am having the absolute time of my life and I would not trade a second of it for anything :)

All the best!!
-Lea

1 comment:

  1. haha oh lea! the trick to booking hostels is to make SURE that youre in a room only big enough for the girls/guys youre traveling with! that way you can lock the door and be sure none of your stuff will get stolen because you know everyone in you room! hostel.com was my best friend! ALSO, another trick- party hard enough that you dont have trouble falling asleep ;) sfp

    MISS YOU SO INCREDIBLY MUCH. thanks for the pictures, you're keepin' me young.

    ReplyDelete